Monday 10 December 2012

The Next Big Thing


The Next Big Thing

This is a global 'survey' of authors that gives readers the opportunity to see what their favourite authors - - or soon-to-be favourite author's - - new book will be about.  I have a couple of manuscripts 'under consideration' at publishers at the moment.  The manuscript I'll discuss here is called 'Quicksilver'.

1) What is the [working] title of your next book?
     Quicksilver

2) Where did the idea come from for the book?
     I got the idea for this story a looong time ago.  It was the old 'what if' question.  I asked myself,  what if a kind-hearted innocent boy was given a 'machine' that could perform miracles?

3) What genre does your book fall under?
     Children's Fantasy

4) What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
     Edward: A not-too-cute unknown child star   Windshood: Ian McKellen    Lord Fenwick: Tim Roth   Sally:  Miranda Richardson

5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
    Edward, a young novice monk must protect the Miracle Box and its secrets from a warlord, bent on using it for evil.

6) Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
    I have high hopes Quicksilver will be published commercially.

7) How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
    First draft approximately 12 months.  Then another 12 months rewriting/editing.

8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
    Skullduggery Pleasant series,  The Rangers Apprentice series by John Flanagan.

9) Who or what inspired you to write this book?
    The excitement of finding out what would happen to Edward and his friends.  I got so caught up in the story, as a reader, I was urging myself to write the story - - faster!!!!

10) What else about the book might pique the reader's interest?
    Quicksilver is set during the Great Death in England in the 14th centuryIt explores the worlds of monks and wizards; noble men and bloodthirsty rulers.  Edward's adventures protecting - - and then reclaiming - - The Miracle Box are fast paced and exciting.  And sometimes funny.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mr McTrustry,

    Your blog is very interesting. It appears to be an exact replica of a recurring dream I've been having for several years! I don't how you did it, but you have broken and entered my mind! Need I say that I feel violated and quite upset? How dare you, sir! Is nothing sacred? It seems not! My lawyers will be in touch with you shortly.
    All the best for Christmas.

    SH Onk (Miss)

    ReplyDelete